MANY TOWNS. ONE COMMUNITY.
Not to be confused with the Western Slope...the West End is located on the west end of Montrose & San Miguel Counties, Colorado. Our region is comprised of Nucla, Naturita, Bedrock, Redvale, Paradox, and Norwood. Hence our slogan, "Many Towns. One Community."
The town of Nucla was originally laid out by the Colorado Cooperative Company and takes advantage of their careful planning. Nucla has a rich farming and ranching heritage, with farmlands fed by waters from the C.C. Ditch. Nucla is well suited for mixed use residential and commercial development along its Main St. including new family style restaurants and retail spaces. In 2013, Nucla completed a 1 ½ mile water line upgrade, paid for by a Community Development Block Grant overseen by the Department of Local Affairs. A future water meter upgrade is also planned.
With a Main Street that lies along state Hwy. 141, Naturita has historically been an industrial hub for the West End. In 2013 the town underwent over $1 million in sewer upgrades. Naturita is also home to the national award winning Naturita Community Library. An ideal location for a business serving the tourism hub, because Naturita hosts over 20,000 visitors each year!
Near the center of the valley is the town of Bedrock. The town was established in 1883. The Bedrock Post Office opened on November 8, 1883. The town’s general store and post office were built on solid rock, hence the name. Bedrock is also the name of the fictional town setting of the Flintstones animated television series.
The dry, sparsely populated Paradox Valley is named after apparently paradoxical course of the Dolores River. Albert Charles Peale, geologist and surveyor who named the river in 1875, noted that the Dolores River had a “desire to perform strange and unexpected things” in the area. Instead of flowing down the valley, the river emerges from a narrow gap in one wall, cuts perpendicularly across the middle, and exits through another gap. Farming is the main industry in the valley.
Incorporated on August 31, 1907, Redvale was formerly known as The Redlands Townsite Company. The name was changed, because the Post Office prohibited the use of the name Redlands as it was already used
in 1909. The official plat was recorded in 1912 dedicating one block to a park. The park and building have seen many dinners, town meetings and dances and is maintained by the residents of Redvale and the surrounding area. In early years there was a hotel, general store, church and Post Office. Redvale was a frequent stopping place for travelers, ranchers, and freight wagons hauling copper and uranium ore from Paradox
Valley to railhead in Placerville.
American trappers and traders followed in the early 1800’s. In 1876 gold was discovered that lead to the establishment of mining towns along the San Miguel River and into the high mountains. Norwood was started
in 1885 by cattlemen and Sawpit in 1895 to produce timber for the miners. In 1890 Otto Mears brought the Rio Grand Southern narrow gauge railroad into the area from Ridgway to Placerville. The Colorado Cooperative Company was formed in 1894 and founded Nucla in 1905 as well as the now abandoned towns of Cottonwood and Pinyon. The discovery and demand for uranium and vanadium created more towns and people in the 1930s and 40s.
The post war ski industry brought in more development for recreation in the deserted mining towns, and settlement in the Norwood area with ranching, timber milling and building construction jobs.
– Carol Patterson,PhD. RPA, Urraca Archaeological Services